  • Subject: Re: Reuse deleted records (was SQL vs DDS)
  • From: "R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr." <rbruceh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:14:28 -0400

Roger Boucher wrote:

> So I take it the answer to the question is yes.

What was the question?  ;-)

> By the way, we use JDEdwards, which doesn't journal... and if you are going
> to suggest we start journaling are you then implying that journaling is no
> longer a sizeable resource hit?  Is there a point to journaling when you
> aren't doing commitment control?  Do the journals still need managing or can
> we let the system switch them for us (we have no operators).  Excuse my
> ignorance but it has been about 5 years since I've been in a shop with any
> journaling and I was never an operator so I've never had to manage them...
> although when I had them they were EXTREMELY useful for proving the user did
> what they said they didn't do!!  <g>

Well now. JDE is a whole different story. The recommendation is that you
NOT journal JDE. JDE generates *significant* numbers of journal entries.

I have journaled JDE files for tests and been thankful that I did, but
for production, JDE is a different animal.

Is it a performance hit? Yes, sure, there is no free lunch. Is that
performance hit worth it? Depends.

Do I have to manage journals and receivers? Yes. But you can automate
this or use remote journalling.

Operators managing journals? Don't know that I would recommend this.
Simplest solution that I have used in the past is to delete journal
receivers from the receiver library after a save, as part of the save
program. The attached one can't be deleted and in the CL program I just
ignore that message.

Need to sell the journals to someone? Wait for the next programmatic
catastophe, you know, the 40,000 records deleted by a wayward program.
After all the restoring is done and people have to rekey the data, just
simply suggest to that someone that this could have been much easier to
recover from. They usually bite. Explain journalling and how much of an
impact it would have had on the down time.

Point is that if the system and the data is critical, like backups, you
probably can't afford to be without journalling. If you can afford it,
then you don't need journalling. Just be sure that the TOTAL time and
effort to recover is recorded and cost it out.

Every shop that I have journalling, this total recovery time and cost
has been unacceptable enough to warrant (in some cases) an upgrade to
the system and the addition of journalling.

Cost benefit analysis. A simple, yet useful business tool.