  • Subject: Re: Internet to AS/400 session
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:29:51 -0700

Actually, there is a real security risk with opening anything up to the
internet.

Hackers gain access by patience more than anything else.  I think that a VPN,
although not 100% secure in itself, combined with he log on to the AS/400
provides a very secure situation.

The, if someone wanted access to your AS/400 they would have to break into
the VPN and then still have to guess the passwords.

Make sure that all passwords for default accounts are changed!  It is possible
for anyone to gain a list of the default passwords for AS400 system accounts.
In fact, I was in a book store once and ran across a hacker magazine, 2600,
I opened it up and was glancing through it and saw a section on hacking into
an AS/400.  I bought the magazine and took it to work, and closed the security
holes it exposed.  I think all the security holes it exposed were the default
passwords.

Once a knowledgeable person is in your system, with whatever password, there
are ways they can attempt to gain further access.  Perhaps the account they
are using doesn't' have that much authority, but if they can find out other
accounts
on the system, they can try to gain access to their accounts.

Unfortunately, the mind set now seems to be, that there are so many computers
on the internet, what are the odds that someone is going to try to hack into our
system?  Well, if you're a fortune 500 or government, the odds are about 100%.
Maybe even a little higher <g>

If you're some small business, odds are small, oh, but what about that
disgruntled

employee that was let go?  Even if he doesn't know that much about computers,
he can bantar your name about if he wants.

The AS/400 in and of it self is a very secure machine, if it is set up properly,
but once
you give exposure to it, the security drops.

Consider this, would you put a machine with an AS/400 sign on to your system out
on the street for anyone to come along and play with?  That is basically what
you
are
doing with allowing telnet to your AS/400 without any other security.