Nina,

> but it doesn't say that you can do the
>same to port it back!  i would be surprised if you could, because it
>also goes on about the stuff it can do that the 36 can't and mentions in
>there somewhere about making c code out of the 36 stuff.

But doing the RPG to C translation is optional, and is there for
customers who want to go beyond the other limits (like 64K, or file
limits, or whatever) and/or integrate with other C modules.

It lets you run the actual IBM compilers and utilities, not just their
emulation of them.  It emulates the 536x machine code instruction set
and SSP supervisor calls, so all software (and IBM utilities) run
without even knowing they are not on a real S/36.  Things like RPG
compiles produce exactly the same code, because it is really the IBM
compiler doing it!

Back when they first offered this (10 years aog?), I wondered how they
expected customers to not get in trouble for reloading their compilers
and program products on a different box.  The 5363/5364 licenses were
transferable (at least with the box), but the 5360/5362 were not.  I
suppose the answer is that the software was licensed to the customer,
and the same customer was still using it, and on only one box assuming
they displaced their former 536x.

At any rate, if you continued to use just the IBM compilers and
utilities (as opposed to their RPG to C translator), your libraries
would almost have to be object level compatible.  And even if there is
a media compatability problem, using $MAINT to make a sector-mode file
then doing a FTP in binary, and a TOLIBR would almost have to get your
objects across to a *M36 machine (but not the S36EE).

Doug