  • Subject: Re: Y2K problems -How aboubt setting clock back to 1993 ,old E20 and model 200
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 9:12:32 -0500

My response is not about the Y2k situation.  Mine has to deal with
the decision to stay with the older operating system.  I understand
your financial considerations.  The boss is going to have a free
raffle and dispose of an E04 when we get the software migrated and
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that.

However you may want to consider the following.  And, I'll try to
talk to your area of concern.

Starting with V3R1 and above IBM added several files beginning with
QADB*.  These files contain a list of all files on your system, what
fields are in these files and their attributes.  You may want to
consider using these in your systems.

Then there's Operations Navigator.  This is the GUI front end to
many 400 operations.

SQL is constantly being enhanced.  Frankly I don't grasp the concepts
of vector encoded indexes and the ilk but...  V4R3 added the ability to
UPDATE one file based on a value from another file.  I am not sure when
referential integrity and triggers came along.  Try to follow this,
CREATE TABLE ROB/ORDHEAD        (ORDER# DEC (7, 0),
                                        ORDTOT DEC (15, 5),
                                        PRIMARY KEY (ORDER#))
CREATE TABLE ROB/ORDLINE        (ORDER# DEC (7, 0),
                                        LINE# DEC (3, 0),
                                        LINEAMT DEC (15, 5),
                                        PRIMARY KEY (ORDER#, LINE#),
                                        FOREIGN KEY (ORDER#) REFERENCES
ROB/ORDHEAD (ORDER#)
                                        ON DELETE NO ACTION
                                        ON UPDATE NO ACTION)

INSERT INTO ROB/ORDLINE VALUES(1, 1, 5.00)
Operation not allowed by referential constraint <--  Because ord# 1 is not in
ORDHEAD
INSERT INTO ROB/ORDHEAD VALUES(2, 0)
INSERT INTO ROB/ORDHEAD VALUES(3, 0)
INSERT INTO ROB/ORDHEAD VALUES(4, 0)
INSERT INTO ROB/ORDLINE VALUES(2,1,5)
INSERT INTO ROB/ORDLINE VALUES(2,2,7)
INSERT INTO ROB/ORDLINE VALUES(4,1,12)
INSERT INTO ROB/ORDLINE VALUES(4,2,33)
select * from ordhead
ORDER#                ORDTOT
     2                .00000
     3                .00000
     4                .00000
ORDER#   LINE#              LINEAMT
     2      1               5.00000
     2      2               7.00000
     4      1              12.00000
     4      2              33.00000
update rob/ordhead set ordtot=(select sum(lineamt)      <-- This UPDATE
requires V4R3
        from rob/ordline                                                <--
        where ordhead.order#=ordline.order#             <--
        group by order#)                                                <--
select * from ordhead
ORDER#                ORDTOT
     2              12.00000
     3                .00000
     4              45.00000
With a trigger you could have a program attached to ORDLINE that automatically
updates
ORDHEAD everytime there is a modification to ORDLINE.  This would constantly
keep the
files in sync.  This would reduce your programming needs on the PC.  This would
improve
your performance because the grunt work would be done on the big iron.

d2ba@xtra.co.nz on 08/17/99 12:58:08 AM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet