  • Subject: Re: validity checking on date input fields
  • From: "Sherry McMahon" <smcm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 05:42:57 -0500

ÿþ<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=unicode" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3401" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff> <DIV><FONT size=2>John,</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>I've been doing Y2k for the past 2 years.&nbsp; I've found that handling the date validation within the rpg program is what works best for me.&nbsp; My dates are *iso in the files and I move them to a 8,0 *usa format screen field. As soon as the user hits enter I check for *zeros or '01/01/0001'&nbsp;then do a TEST(D) on anything else. If&nbsp;a valid date has not been entered I return them to the screen, highlight the field on the screen and send them a 'Please enter a valid date' message.&nbsp; I have found that I have more control over the appearance of the date fields on the screen and also give the user the opportunity to cancel if they want by using 8,0.&nbsp; Using a true date field in a display will not let the user out of the screen until a valid date is entered.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Sherry McMahon</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>