  • Subject: Re: EDI vs. E-Commerce
  • From: "Cynthia M. Kovarik" <ckovarik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 19:16:42 -0400

What timely information!  Senior Management has recently directed us
("us" being primarily IS and Customer Service) to "enable" our customers
to enter order information over the Internet.  Currently, we sell
primarily through distribution, preliminary order information is faxed
in, subsequent phone calls/changes ensue, and ... our internal ordering
process logic is extremely complex (separate issue!).  I am in the
process of compiling a questionnaire to hopefully better define the
project.  Has anyone else developed or had the need for a
questionnaire?  Has anyone else been told to "just do it"?  For those
that are interested, questions thus far are pasted below (only a draft
at this point ... don't want to make it too career limiting!).  While I
realize questions will vary, any and all feedback is greatly
appreciated.  Thank you!

Enabling our distributors to order "on-line"

1.  Do our distributors want to order "on-line"?  If so, how do we
know?  Was a formal survey done?  Do we know what systems our
distributors have?  Do they have Internet connectivity?

2.  How many distributors currently fax their orders in (vs. call in)?
How accurate is the received information?  How many callbacks are
necessary to complete the order?

3.  How many distributors fax in hand written orders vs. how many
distributors fax in more polished orders (possibly indicating more
sophisticated systems at their end where they enter purchase order
information into their systems and automatically fax to us)?  Are
handwritten orders deemed efficient as they can fax from virtually
anywhere, anytime (vs. finding PC with Internet connectivity)?

4.  If distributors are automatically faxing from their systems, what
benefit would be derived for them from having to now enter information
twice (once for their systems, once for ours)?

5.  Is project definition "distributors ordering over the Internet" or
"distributors ordering electronically"?  Various solutions exist for
"vanilla" Internet, traditional EDI, Internet EDI through a VPN (virtual
private network), and through other separate proprietary
software/hardware connected to corporate systems (ex. BOS).

6.  Is our goal to make business easier for our internal or external
customers?

7.  We currently have a system in place that archives in-bound faxed
images (potentially limiting our liability in order/invoice disputes)
and automatically faxes out confirmations.  What archival changes would
be necessary to support more electronic system?  Would confirmations
still be necessary?

8.  What about systems reliability?  AS/400 has terrific uptime record.
What happens the first time a customer cannot order "on-line"
(regardless of whether it is their problem or ours)?  What manual
processes would be in place?

9.  Will this project have the biggest bang for company bucks?  Internal
resources are not free and appear to be somewhat over-allocated at this
time.  MIS, Customer Service, Marketing, and the Color Group may need to
be involved.

10.  No one likes change.  Is "buy-in" an issue?  Most technical people
are not known for their extraordinary PR abilities, which is why a
Marketing profession exists?  Who will market/sell the benefits of this
project?