Depends on what the procedure does.  When the procedure does something
useful only to the program that calls it, I think it belongs in the program.
When the procedure provides something many programs can use I think it
should be a service program.  If you have a large program, you may find that
it's more convenient to break it into different modules containing one or
more procedures like a C project.  This allows you to recompile the module
you need to change and relink the program with the UPDPGM command.

> do I need a Binding directory?
You never _need_ a binding directory.  If you have a program composed of
many modules, a binding directory makes program creation a lot simpler.

> How do I compile the module into the binding directory?
You don't.  A binding directory is list of modules.  When you bind (link)
your program a binding directory helps the linker resolve external
references--i.e. find the modules that belong to the procedures referenced
in the program.  Look at the CMDBND menu for binding directory maintenance
commands.

> Do I make it a service program?
See above.
> etc.

I suspect others on the list will have some different suggestions. A lot of
this is either a matter of taste, shop standards, or depends heavily on the
particular situation.

First thing I did with procedures was write a recursive factorial routine.
Made me feel like I was back in school.  Another thing you should
investigate is binding C functions into your RPG programs.  The C binary
search is very fast.  I think News400 has some sample code for this.