  • Subject: Re: DB2 Connect error
  • From: "R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr." <rbruceh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:09:58 -0400

Wayne Capwell wrote:

> Thank you, but...
> The DRDA clue seemed to help but I'm not home yet.
> The only host server not started is the IPX, which doesn't suprise me
> since we have an NT network.

That's correct. If you don't run the IPX (Novell support?) then the host
servers will not start it.

> I have re-configured the client as stated and got the signon prompt,
> (though I did get that before).
> Now I receive the following error,
> _____________________________
> The connection test failed.
>
> [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL30020N  Execution failed because of a Distributed
> Protocol Error that will affect the successful execution of subsequent
> commands and SQL statements:  Reason Code "1254".  SQLSTATE=58009
> __________________________

Yuck.

SQLSTATE 58009: Execution failed due to a distribution protocol error
that caused deallocation of the conversation.

Cause:  A system error occurred that prevented successful
execution of the current environment command or SQL
statement, as well as any subsequent commands or SQL
statements.

The command or statement cannot be processed.  The current
transaction is rolled back and the application is
disconnected from the remote database.

Action:  Record the message number (SQLCODE) and the reason
code.  Record all error information from the SQLCA, if
possible.  Attempt to connect the remote database and rerun
the application.

If sufficient memory resources exist and the problem
continues, invoke the Independent Trace Facility at the
operating system command prompt.  Refer to the Independent
Trace Facility in the Troubleshooting Guide for information
on how to use this facility.

Required information:

o   Problem description
o   SQLCODE and reason code
o   SQLCA contents if possible
o   Trace file if possible.

Some possible reason codes include:

121C   Indicates that the user is not authorized to perform
   the requested command.
1232   The command could not be completed because of a
   permanent error.  In most cases, the server will be in
   the process of an abend.
220A   The target server has received an invalid data
   description.  If a user SQLDA is specified, ensure that
   the fields are initialized correctly.  Also, ensure that
   the length does not exceed the maximum allowed length
   for the data type being used.

   If you are using the DB2 Connect product in a gateway
   server environment with downlevel clients, this error
   may occur if your application's host variables and the
   queried table's column descriptions do not match.

sqlcode:  -30020

sqlstate:  58009

Well, you are right about the reason code. But you got me on this one.
You might try addressing the problem to the comp.databases.ibm-db2 news
group. They have been quite helpful to me in the past and Kent Milligan
(AS/400 DB2 guy from Rochester) monitors the news group.