  • Subject: RE: event-driven data to 4+ screens
  • From: "Kahn, David [JNJFR]" <DKahn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:54:40 +0200

The problem with the active user file is keeping it accurate when
interactive sessions crash.

Another idea might be to have the application's front end put a shared lock
on a specific object, or there may already be a handy object that's always
locked by all users within the application. Then simply retrieve the object
lock details and send a break message to each locking workstation. Within
the application's front end you could also set a break message handling
program so that the message can be popped up in a nice window with the same
look and feel as the rest of the application.

In fact you don't really need the data queue. The message entry program
could do all that work up front. Then you also don't need to worry about the
data queue monitor being active. If you want to go on adding whistles and
bells the message entry could be made to show a subfile of the active users.
The message sender could then have the option to select some or all of them
as message receivers.

Dave Kahn
Johnson & Johnson International (Ethicon) France
Phone : +33 1 55 00 3180
Email :  dkahn1@jnjfr.jnj.com (work)
           dkahn@cix.co.uk      (home)