  • Subject: Re: Move S/36 to AS/400
  • From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 09:36:17 -0700

At 09:27 PM 6/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
>At 12:11 06/30/1999 , Al Barsa wrote:
> >
> >If I could interject, I disagree.  You can get a very clean conversion from
> >OCL to CL.  But there's a ton of flukey stuff in RPG II that RPG III/IV
> >doesn't support.  Many (very many) years ago, I used a product called
> >Target 400, which converted S/36 applications to native, and it did a very
> >good job.  At that time, we assumed that OCL to CL would be the hardest,
> >and were surprised to see that RPG was harder based on all the funky stuff.
>
>Well, like I said, each job is different, and I've had more practice than
>most with 36-400 conversions, having done in excess of 50 of the buggers.
>You apparently had OCL that was written for the S/34 or maybe even earlier.
>It can vary a lot. Generally, the OCL is the hard part, especially if you
>want to make it run reasonably efficiently and end up with coherent data
>definitions. Occasionally you do get lucky, but only occasionally.

I go back to my TARGET/400 experience, where a programmatic conversion
occurred.  Getting the program correct for all types of OCL proved to be
easier than all of the funky stuff that you could have done in RPG
II.  Most of the stuff in RPG II that was difficult was stuff that was
primarily designed for S/3 and S/32.

Al

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400