  • Subject: Re: Growing your own programmers
  • From: Dennis D Pearson <ddp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:51:55 -0500

I am one of those home grown programmers.  Started in Accounting,
moved into programming when our programmer quit in 1983.  I had very
little experience with midrange systems; I use to program on the
TRS-80, with a tape player as a disk unit, when I was in my teens.
I would not call that much experience at all.  The President at the
time liked my logic and attention to detail.

The company I (still) worked for sent me to the IBM school
(just outside of Chicago) for several weeks, to get the basics.
I have been programming since, though with my expanded
responsibilities, I do not have much time to code anymore. :-(

I have seen programmers come and go around here.  They have the mind
set for logical programming or they do not!  Those out of a detail
minded department like accounting may be better suited for computer
programming.  Finding someone with the mind set for programming is
the key, whether inside or outside of your firm.

DDP
begin:vcard
n:Pearson;Dennis
tel;fax:847.336.0924
tel;work:847.336.8100  #4712
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.coralchemical.com/
org:Coral Chemical Company
adr:;;135 LeBaron Street;Waukegan;IL;60085;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:ddp@coral.com
note:Director of Information Systems
x-mozilla-cpt:;31504