  • Subject: Re 9401-150 WITHOUT A CONSOLE?
  • From: "Henrik Krebs" <hkrebs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 17:25:05 +0200

If you already have it up and running, never needs to do anything but
unattended IPL, don't do any 'SAVSYS/entire sys' or other 'dedicated
function'. then you don't need any console.

Otherwise it depends of your OS:

V4R2 and below: Client Access Console
V4R3 and above: CA Operation Console (allthough Client Access Console
will run on V4R3/R4 too).

Both are 'free' functions of CA/400 (no license fee), boths uses a a
cable (not the same) an AS/400 async port (not the same), TN5250 (CA/400)
or PCOM (alternative to CA). CA Operation Console needs additional
functions from CA.

Both need the correct DST console setting. CA Operation Console needs
(undocumentated) the 115200 bps setting for the modem eliminator and MS
DUN at level 1.2 at least (free from MS).

CA Operation Console is rather slow and not suited for daily work. Client
Access Console is daaammmeeeeed sloooooow.

Also a good advice: RTFM. Follow it promptly. All you need (including a
hardcopy of the manual) should be included with your 9401-box except
MSDUN12. EZ-setup (if included) should do this for you in 'one keypress'.
What it did for me was to take the control over the entire box from ME,
the OWNER of the box!! And did not bring up any console!!!

Regards

Henrik Krebs

Henrik Krebs
IT Consultant (IBM AS/400)
Phone +45 55 44 26 50
Mobile +45 40 88 83 23
Email: hkrebs@hkrebs.dk
Web: http://www.hkrebs.dk/
Snailmail: Kokhaven 8, DK-4736  Karrebaeksminde

<mthomas@technicalhumans.com>; Thomas, Michael <buttah@mindspring.com>

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com