At 07:40 PM 4/16/99 -0700, James W. Kilgore wrote:
>David,
>
>If you had a faster machine would you have more time?

It's not the S/34 or our PC's speed that is my immediate problem.  For the
last year, I have been involved in my company's progression from
discovering our accounting software was NOT Y2K compliant, searching for
new software, installing/converting, learning the new software, and then
finally switching to new, faster hardware.  This was on top of all my
normal duties, which, before this started, consumed my 40-hour week!

As a matter of fact, I have not even found time to turn on the S/34 in over
a year.  I am NOT using it for anything.  I took it (for free) because I
collect old computers.  I thought it was amazing that a machine built in
the late 1970's could support 15 local users, plus a printer, plus 64 more
users remotely, AND do this in only 32 or 64 Kilobytes (mine has 128K) of
memory.  A MS-DOS machine seemed to need 640K to do much of anything for
one person!

>I've got a slug of 5363's I'll donate to the cause ;-)

     Seriously, I know the S/34 will have problems beyond 2000.  BUT, if
you really have a 5363 system available, I would LOVE to acquire such an
unit for my collection.  A local group here has started the "Computer
Museum Of Northwest Arkansas", and initially is emphasizing home-based
units.  I think it would be neat to see a section on some of the "BIG IRON"
units.
     PLEASE, I think I can come up with shipping costs, plus a little,
--what would I need to send you to get a 5363?  Email me at:
wehmeyer@ipa.net.

>P.S. Did you ever get one of those things that you could hang over the
>box to collect the heat and pipe into the rest of the house?  I don't
>know what it's CPW rating would be today, but it's BTU's were pretty
>high =:-o

     No, I've not had it "on" enough for that to be a concern.  I guess,
from what you say, I could have the S/34 keep me warm out in the garage
(where it's at), while I play!

     This unit was last used at a local technical college.  From my
"looking around" at what's on it, it was used for Student loans, grades, etc.