  • Subject: AS/400 internet conection/encrypted signon
  • From: SBireley@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 99 09:30:27 EST

     Renex has a TN5250E emulator that we just released as a companion
     product to our 3270 emulator BlueZone.  We are revamping our website
     and the 5250 eval should be available on it within a couple of days at
     www.renex.com.  In the mean time, I will gladly email an eval copy to
     anyone that wants one.  Send private email to sbireley@renex.com.

     The encrypted signon is not documented in the AS/400 documentation but
     is in the TN5250e draft RFC.  QRMTSIGN *VERIFY allows the user to
     specify the USER ID and PASSWORD in the emulator prior to connecting.
     During the TN5250E negotiation, the user ID and password are sent to
     the AS/400, bypassing the signon screen.  This is called signon bypass
     using a substitute password.  If the emulator supports the encryption
     feature, the AS/400 and the emulator will negotiate a key to DES
     encrypt the substitute password preventing is from being transmitted
     in clear text over the network.  This is useful when connecting over
     the internet or public telephone lines where transmitting the clear
     text password is a security risk.

     All of the feature in TN5250E are explained fairly well in the Draft
     RFC available at www.ietf.org.  The draft is in the TN3270E working
     group area.  I can email a text copy of the RFC to anyone interested.

     Steve Bireley
     VP Engineering
     www.renex.com