  • Subject: RE: Training
  • From: Robert Fisher <rfisher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:35:11 -0400

Some companies are trying. A year and a half ago I joined our IS department
as an RPG programmer apprentice.  Leadership wanted to develop IS talent
with 'Business Knowledge'.  I came over from manufacturing with very little
prior experience.( I had a COBOL class in college)  It took me 6 months to
complete the apprenticeship program.  Fortunately, I've done well and the
program has been deemed a rousing success.  Currently we are looking for
more candidates within the company who can score well on the CALIP and
Wunderlik tests. This seems to be a very effective way of addressing the
shortage of programmers in today's marketplace.

Robert Fisher
> CARDONE Industries, Inc.
Software Engineer