  • Subject: Re: USRCLS(*USER) = *ALLOBJ....???
  • From: Chuck Lewis <CLEWIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:57:13 -0500

SOOO True Rob,

And there are a TON of shops out there that are CLUE LESS to this "backdoor"
approach (backdoor in that it is not done via an old
style green screen/menu screen deal)...

At my last job, we had some consultants in. They came to me (the security) and
said that I needed to GRTOBJAUT *ALL to a bunch of
libraries and I said no I didn't (politely of course - I thought he was pulling
my leg). He went to my boss an "tattled" on me
and I was TOLD to do it. I TRIED to make my point that this was NOT the proper
way to do it, that they needed to figure out their
problems that RIGHT way (and not GRTOBJAUT every time there was a problem) but
I lost. This was a number of years back. I did
state that this would come back to haunt us and that I would NOT be responsible
(although I would have been the one stuck with
doing the restores...). That was in the early days of ODBC. Latter on I was
SURE to take the steps so secure the IFS as best as I
could (with the documented stuff). Flash back to last year and FTP. Get
"library" "filename" and BOOM, the file is on my PC in
seconds. I showed this to a trusted cohort as proof of what could happen and he
was stunned.

Yep, TRY to recover from a mistake like *ALLOBJ...

Chuck