  • Subject: Re: Y2K - Date simulation software
  • From: Dave Shaw <dshaw1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:44:12 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: jomullins@ovec.com <jomullins@ovec.com>

>Has anyone used a date simulation software such as SIMDATE to do Y2K
>testing?  We have only Infinium Software on our AS/400 (no home grown
>applications), so we do not have an extensive amount of testing to do.  We
>are trying to decide whether to lease a small AS/400 for a couple of months
>or consider using a date simulation software running on our production
>system in a test environment.
>
>Would this be an effective test without causing any AS/400 system problems?
>If so, does anyone have any software recommendations?

The following is my opinion, although at least this time it also matches my
employer's. <grin>

Date simulators are useful tools for unit testing, to verify that you have
amended your applications properly.  Tests using simulators should NOT be
used for final verification that your systems will function correctly.  The
only adequate way to cover your tail is to do a well-planned full system
test.  This is the absolute best way to demonstrate due diligence if by some
horrible luck your company (and perhaps you personally!) gets hit in the big
legal feeding frenzy that the world will be in the midst of 12 months from
now.  I know it's expensive to do this kind of test, but it could save huge
amounts of money when the litigation hits.

Note that the technical reasons for doing one rather than the other are
unimportant, by comparison.

---
Dave Shaw, General Nutrition, Greenville, SC
To subscribe to the MAPICS-l mailing list send email to
MAPICS-L-SUB@midrange.com
The opinions expressed may not be my employer's unless I'm sufficiently
persuasive...