  • Subject: Re: V4R3 System Value QPRCFEAT
  • From: Ilena Ayala <ilena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:03:14 -0500

>Does anyone have any idea what these cryptic codes in this system value
>are???  A Model 730 2066 with feature code 1509 has a value of 2B6B.  Does
>it translate out to something more significant or meaningful?

On models prior to the 7xx, the model and processor feature code determined
the tier it fell into for pricing purposes.

On the 7xx models (and currently only on those models), the tier is
determined by TWO pieces of information; the processor feature code and the
(I'm at home and might be calling this the wrong thing) interactive
processing feature code.  The systems come with a 'base'  interactive
feature and if you need more you buy a higher one.

The system value QPRCFEAT on 7xx models is neither of those; rather the
processor feature code and the interactive feature code info are used
together to look up a third code, which is the odd code you actually see
displayed.  Why?

Well, for one vendors like us need to look up the tier for licences checks.
 I know in our case the need for a third piece of information would have
broken our key software-it would have to be rewritten to work.

Second there was no simple way (still isn't actually) to retrieve the
interactive feature code to look up.  (Hence the broken key check.)  IBM
does not add new system values lightly.  (I think if they add a few more
Al's System Values pitch will run over into a third hour.  Or he'll have to
talk even faster!)

With the 7xx models QPRCFEAT gives you a unique (albiet ugly) four position
code that tells you (if you have the right chart handy-we drew up our own)
what both the processor feature code and interactive feature on your system
are.  Using that, vendors can figure out what the correct pricing tier is.

Ilena Ayala
support@taatool.com

Jim Sloan, Inc.

"For every problem there is a solution which is simple, neat, and wrong."