  • Subject: Re: Recovered Yet ??
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:42:54 -0800

Jerry, it was nice to meet you too.

Jerome Draper wrote:

> Tere was lots of talk about vols working side by side with paid COMMON
> staff.  Some have thrown in the towel on COMMON after 15 COMMON's and will
> not attend again in disgust.  COMMON's position is that the fare went up
> brom $500 to $1000 because of losing $100/person/COMMON and that has to
> stop for a 501(C3).  Additionally, COMMON maintains that they were
> essentially contracting out services for $4 mil and think they can do it
> in-house for $3 mil.  COMMON has become a big time business.  It is no
> longer the user's group of yesteryear.

Common is losing $100 per person?   That's what they said.   They also said that
there were 4600 total attendees and 2200 paid attendees.  This means that more
than half of the attendees didn't pay?  No wonder prices went up 50%, somebody
has to subsidize all the freebies.

I thought that it was a real bad move to bump prices that much without any
advance warning to the members.  It's a Users Group, but the board never made
the
effort to justify this huge jump to the membership.  It wasn't until Kris Neely
penned an opinion peice in News/400 that a couple of Board members thought to
explain themselves.

Sheeesh!  They didn't even try to justify it in MOM.  They just let speakers
like
myself have their say and then moved on to the next topic.   Pretty
dissapointing.

jte

--
John Earl   johnearl@toolnet.com