>         If any of you COMMON attendees have recovered from your travels how
> about a dissertation on the conference, Mom, and CUDS.
>
>         :-)   JMS....

CUDS:  MUCH BETTER!  Actually well attended to...Andrew what did you use?
.44 magnum? :)

MOM, or should I say BOM(Bitching of Members):  Still not a busines
meeting; still sans agenda; I wasn't there for the whole thing as I had a
software problem and was on the horn with a vendors tech support folks...
Most of it was around the raise in conference fees, the perception that
large BP's rule the roost, etc.  Virtual greenstreak got some
airtime...basically nobody using it, but folks would like to see the
conference session sched updated online so that they can see what changed
from the night before or from when they made their last final decisions.
Same old "too much in too little time" talk.  There were several times in
the week when you had the industry big guns on a topic ALL giving the SAME
topic presentation, at the same time, in different venues....someone
missed the gun in several proofing conflicting presentations;  the new
mentoring process was reviewed...seems to be doing well; First timer's was
a nice bash...I didn't realize it was open to old timers as well...ice
cream was good!  Old timers should seriousely consider going to first
timers for the mentoring and ice cream...:)

LUGs:  Now an official committee.  Finally after 18 months of dragging.
LUG committee has already done alot outside of Common and continues to do
so, now has some recognized formal structure within  Common.  A good move.

Soundoff:  Denise vs Al was a interesting show.  Denise was responsive.
Again, IBM was blasted from many directions and attendees for the over
marketing of NT to the detriment of OS/400.  The attendee from Germany was
interesting when he said "In Germany, if we sell something that doesn't
work, we goto jail...." and that IBM should be telling the world that MS
runs on AS/400's...not just that the 400's run MS software...:)

Some idiot kept running around with a Blue Cross/Blue Shield card in place
of his badge....:)

I kinda hope they skip SFO for a while(No, I've not looked at the web
schedule)...it's a incredible expensive town and next to Philly the
dirtiest one I've run into in a while...

Conf facilities were good.  Moscone was only a block from the
Marriott...easier walk than NOLA....

Attendance:  4400....2200(+/-) real attendees...

Labs: Didn't hear anything about any major problems...sounds like those
folks had fairly smooth sailing..

JAVA:  the hot topic...seems that there's a company out there that would
like to see RPG go bye-bye....imho...:)

Expo: Busy Sunday, light on Monday, dead on Tues...  Have they ever
thought of just running Expo on Sun/Mon then let vendors have demo suites
for Tues?

Item most missed: The IBM Cyber Cafe....  Laptops in the bookstore kept
freezing up on Telnet...

Room moniters were good and efficient...handouts still hard to get from
time to time...

NICE to see a blender at CUDs...

Sorry I didn't see the M-L BOF notice...was overly busy Sun/Mon with
magazine stuff and Tues/Wed was a blurr....good to meet ALOT of you folks
at CUDs afterwards...

Midrange-L and Love LUGs buttons all over...

Goodies at Expo were hard to find...I'm hoping that NEWS/400 finally has
the balls to give the expo awards that Madden had talked about...best
t-shirt, executive pacifiers....  I'ld add to the list best both
babes...but I'm sure I'ld get killed...:)

IBM goodies at expo were great....was able to get a FREE copy of the
redbook CDROM....also got one for my LUG to use as a door prize next
month...

SFO in a word: EXPENSIVE!

...now, back to my Cherries Garcia...which is getting warm...:)

Don in DC