  • Subject: Re: Timeslice/purge settings was: Suppress Query Status Message
  • From: pytel@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:15:03 -0600

When job does disk I/O, it is a short wait (disk I/O is relatively fast
operation), so job will not leave activity level.
But what is more important, is if disk I/O is synchronous or asynchronous.
Asynch I/O is perfromed by system tasks out of line, so job does not need
to wait for I/O completion. Asynch I/Os come in all flavours - asynch
pageouts, prefetches etc.
One should take all possible measures to make sure that most of I/Os are
asynch - it makes *huge* difference in performance.

Timeslice comes hand in hand with purge, because with PURGE(*YES) at
timeslice end the whole PAG will be paged out.
My opinion is that with memory size no longer a constraint (comparative to
older times), PURGE should be always *NO.

Generally making timeslice shorter will make response time more uniform
between a multitude of jobs on system, but it will not decrease runtime of
a long-running task.

I would say, that most important tuning parameters are RUNPTY and size of
memory pool, where job runs.
Building of access path is aggressive memory user - in other words, the
larger the memory pool, the better it performs. And the difference can be
an order of magnitude. So if one often runs queries which build access
paths, make sure that they have plenty of memory.
Of course, one has to take into account other workload on system - there
are trade-offs to be made.

Best regards
    Alexey Pytel

"Buck Calabro/commsoft" <mcalabro@commsoft.net> on 03/18/99 08:26:24 AM