  • Subject: Re: Qdate Value
  • From: Gary L Peskin <garyp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:54:02 -0800

I agree with Al that the only DEFINITIVE way is to obtain a second
system and change the date there.  As indicated by the URL which Al
cites, this machine should not be connected to any networks which
means that objects need to be moved there via tape save/restore or
similar means.

This is a big pain when doing unit testing, parallel testing, etc.  On
the "time machine", you can only have one QDATE at a time so all testing
by all people needs to be carefully coordinated.  You can't have one
person testing with 1/1/2000 and another just come along and change
QDATE to 2/29/2000 without making sure that everyone is in the loop.

When errors are discovered, you need to go back to your development box,
fix them, and re-save/restore OR make the changes on the "time machine",
assuming you have licensed your compilers for that box and be sure to
move the changed objects back to your regular system.  Of course, be
sure to change QDATE to today's date when anyone is editing or compiling
so that you don't get objects back on your regular box with bogus dates.

The date simulators are TOOLS which allow you to have multiple users
simulating multiple dates on your development box simultaneously.  This
greatly simplifies much of the testing, eliminates the back and forth
with the time machine, and dramatically reduces the need and duration
for the second machine.  As such, they do serve a role in the y2k
testing process.

(Disclaimer:  We sell SIMDATE, a date simulation tool.)

Gary L Peskin
The Firstech Corporation
+1.323.658.1146
http://www.simdate.com