  • Subject: Re: New PC - What MS OS?
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:43:04 -0500

OK That's it, someone dropped the OS/2 hat so here goes:

I just bought an IBM thinkpad with NT installed. (Logic basically the same as
going on in this thread-> NT better than 95/98).

Wanna guess what OS I'm running on it?  Yup OS/2!  OK, so it may not support
every piece of hardware out there but on my Thinkpad it supports every single
feature!  PLUS:  1) The modem doesn't work under NT, IBM Has not gotten me an
answer on that yet, it works fine on OS/2. 2) You can't put NT 'to sleep'
(suspend mode) and expect it to work correctly when it resumes. 3) You can't
power off the PC-cards because 'it could make the OS unstable'.  4) You can't
remove PC-cards because 'it could make the OS unstable'.  5) In OS/2 you can run
a simple .CMD file that sets up your IP Address and routes, name servers etc in
about 5 seconds. You can run this any time and the changes are IMMEDIATE. In NT
you gotta go through the gooey and not everything is changeable without a
ReBoot.  6) NT Does not support hot swapping the CD-Rom/backup battery/floppy in
the Ultrabay. (You know it makes the OS Unstable!) OS/2 does.  Plus OS/2
includes an LPD server, FTP Server, TFTP server, SMTP Mail server, fax package,
terminal emulation, Internet dialer, and more.  For NT I gotta go get half of
those.

So I can't run the newest versions of MS Apps. Boo Hoo. I have the latest
Smartsuite from lotus for OS/2 and it works better anyway.

OK So I admit that OS/2 is 'functionally stable' but I like stability, that's
why I use OS/400!

Soapbox *Off

 - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         |
Arbor Solutions, Inc  | Two rules to success in life: