  • Subject: RE: Question on Cobol (Unix) file layouts...
  • From: Dan Thomas <DThomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 00:05:56 -0500

Yes, I've been IS Manager at this company for 15 years.  We've gone from
proprietary NCR minicomputers to NCR Unix systems to a combination of AS/400
and NT servers (all at my direction).  Until the AS/400, we were diehard
supporters of Cobol and Unix.  We all absolutely love the AS/400.
Previously, I always thought of people/companies using the AS/400 as boring,
unimaginative sheep that followed IBM's direction (whatever that might be).
Now, I feel the AS/400 is the best combination of solid integration,
performance and reliability that you can only get with a single company
producing both the hardware and O/S and yet the system is in my opinion more
open than the Unix system it replaced.  Unix <> Unix (meaning if you are not
on the right "flavor" you can't run software just because it is available on
Unix).  I have to admit that some of the AS/400 hardware components seem
pricey, but right now I wouldn't bet our enterprise applications on any
other server!