  • Subject: Re: Printing
  • From: Ray Peterson <rpeterso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:46:09 -0600

Hi...

We use the remote writer (LPD) capability of OS/400 to print to Lexmark and HP
laser printers via TCPIP.  Each printer has a network card which supports IP and
LPD.  We also use external network adapters from lexmark which attach as many as
3 printers per adapter and also function as remote writers.

For users who need to print AS/400 reports to a color or dot-matrix  attached to
the PC, we use NIPRINT LPD software from Network Instruments along with the
remote outq support on OS/400.  You would need to create a remote outq on the
/400 for each printer attached to a PC, then start a remote writer on the /400.
When you create the remote outq on the /400 they give you the option of
automatically starting the remote writer.   The NI solution works great and is
inexpensive - put it in and forget it.  They are at: www.netinst.com

We use static IP addresses on all printers and  the PC's which are used as LPD's
for an attached printer.

Ray

--
Ray Peterson