  • Subject: HTTP server - SSL client authentication
  • From: Mark Bauman <mlbauman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:22:54 -0600 (CST)

Howdie!

I have a question for the members of the midrange list.  It is a
question about how much you might need or use a particular function if
it were provided.  I am not saying that this function will be provided.
Lets just say that I am "dipping my toe in the water to see if it is
cold, luke-warm, warm or hot".   I am not asking for input on additional
functions for the the HTTP server - just an answer if this function
would be valuable to you, how valuable it would be and why.   I will
take input on this question thru Tuesday, 2/23/99.  I thank you for your
input in advance.

Back ground:

The V4R3 HTTP supports the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) configuration on a
per HTTP instance basis. You configure whether you want to use SSL on
the Security Configuration panel.  The V4R3 HTTP server support allows
you to indicate, via a check box on the Security Configuration panel,
whether you want to enable optional SSL client authentication or not.
The default is to enable it.

Required client authentication can be configured for an HTTP server
instance in V4R3 be 1) enabling the optional client authentication box
on the Security Configuration panel and 2) by setting up protection
directives on a per URL basis with AUTH = CERT.

Optional client authentication indicates that the HTTP server should
request a certificate from the client, but that the client is not
required to return one, and if a certificate is returned, that it does
not need to be valid.  With optional client authentication, if there is
not a valid client certificate, then it is up to the application (HTTP
server) to provide a level of authenticatng the client. If the
certificate is not valid, the HTTP server will, based on your access
list and protection setup configuration for that URL, possibly provide
some additional level of client authentication.  It all depends on how
you configured the HTTP instance and the protection directives.

Required (also known as mandatory) client authentication indicates that
the HTTP server will request a certificate from the client for an SSL
session. The client must return one and the certificate must be valid or
the SSL handshake will fail and the server will not be given the chance
of providing the requested URL.

Question:

Is there a need in V4R3, to also support a mutually exclusive (to the
enable optional client authentication) check box that would enable or
disable required client authentication on a per HTTP server instance?
Enabling required client authentication via this mechanism would mean
that all data served via this HTTP instance would have required that the
client have been authenticated via SSL.

Again, thank-you for your input in advance.

Mark L. Bauman
AS/400 Communications Software Development