  • Subject: Re: subfile processing
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:33:51 -0800

Wynn,

I don't know about the rest of the list, but when we are faced with a
variable content or variable number of lines, we make the subfile record
at least two fields: option & data and build the data as needed.

For example we have a product/parts code lookup.  The master file has
the capability of having two lines of description.  Not all entries use
two lines, for line one we move the first line of description to an
output variable for description and display the option column and output
description along with qty on hand, etc., for the second line we PR/ND
the option and any other "line one only" fields and move the second line
to the same output description variable.

In your example, there is more than just an optional second line of
description so we may look at generic columns.  The generic column may
be the indented ID and a single column for text.

Other text fields or formatted numerics are placed as needed.  We found
that if we created data structures for each format we could MOVEL the
data to be displayed into a structure subfield instead of array
manipulation.  Then move the working structure to the display variable
once complete.

In your case we would also have hidden fields for format id, and
possibly all generic key fields (i.e.: a single vendor number field
instead of each files naming for vendor number if more than one file is
being read and displayed).

For an example of a more elaborate usage that we have encountered, we
have some refuse hauling companies that have a CUSTWRK subfile which can
show a primary service (i.e.: 2 can service), optional services (i.e.:
pack out, sunken cans, steps, etc.), notes and one time charges.

Now the service code and optional service codes can be displayed in the
same column. So can the code for the one time charge.  Each service's
description is in another column and so is the note(s).  The start date
of the service, the date of the note and the date of the one time charge
can share the same column.

In this case the subfile would have and option, service code,
description and date columns and possibly the remaining turf would be a
single generic field that is entry type dependent.

Oh, I forgot, three of four could do with a rate, quantity and charges
columns.  Now the coin gets tossed as to whether these should be
reserved columns or part of the shared area.  This depends on the left
to right importance and content of information.  (BTW, in this
particular case the far right column was used for dollar amount so the
just right of center turned out to be the variable content area)

I would hate to lay down any -hard- rules.  They can result in ugly
displays.

The bottom line, for our shop(s), (since we rarely use page=size
subfiles), is that generic content on the fly is our standard for
variable content.

To change the subject slightly, if I recall, there was someone who
posted to this list (maybe the RPG list) wanting total program control
over output.  Although this is still using DDS, on the fly content may
partially satisfy their masochistic needs ;-}

James W. Kilgore
email@James-W-Kilgore.com