  • Subject: Re: What to do with CPU seconds?
  • From: Pete Massiello <pmassiello@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 13:33:01 -0500

Jim,

    I would have to disagree with you about what you said for the amount of CPU
seconds that a job takes up.  If any job on the system reports that it is using
25%
of CPU, then its 25% of the Systems CPU time.  So, as an example, if two jobs
over 10
seconds each use 4 seconds of CPU time, then the system during that 10 second
interval would be at 80% CPU used (assuming no other jobs were running during
that
time).  Each job took 40%.  Now if you added a 3rd job, that used 4 seconds of
CPU
time during that same interval, then each job would only be able to get 3.33
seconds,
as you cant get more than 10 CPU seconds in 10 seconds (assuming we are on a
single
processor).

    Thats how I have understood it to work all these years.

--
Pete Massiello
OS Solutions International