  • Subject: Re: ftping a savf
  • From: Buck Calabro/commsoft<mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:04:40 -0500

On 02/11/99 04:49:19 PM "Carl Galgano"  wrote:

>I know this has been covered before, and I know I have done this before,
but
>how do I FTP a savf between 2 as400s.

Carl,
  As a test of David's archives, I went to http://www.midrange.com and
visited the Midrange-L archives.  In the search field, I tried "save file"
and got some hits on going from RISC to CISC with FTP and save files.  They
aren't completely what you want.  I tried "ftp save" and got exactly what
you're after:  The first hit was a question about why the SAVF got turned
into a PF on the target system, and the second hit was one answer - create
the SAVF on the target first.

Source system - Create your objects so they match the release level of the
target system.  If you don't, you *may* not be able to restore them.
Source system - CRTSAVF lll/fff TGTRLS(VxRyMz)  Match the target system. If
you don't, the target won't be able to read the format of the SAVF.  Note
that this has nothing to do with the release level of the objects inside
the SAVF.  No magical conversion occurs to the objects just because they
are placed inside a prior release compatible SAVF.
Target system - CRTSAVF lll/fff
Source system - ftp target, binary, put lll/fff.mbr lll/fff.mbr, quit
Target system - RSTOBJ

hth!

ps - Kudos to David!  The search engine really works for a real-world
query!  If only I could say the same thing about *my* work!!!! :-)

Buck Calabro
CommSoft, Albany, NY
mailto:mcalabro@commsoft.net