  • Subject: Re: Getting the field attributes of a subfile record
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 19:29:10 -0800

OK everybody, please don't shoot, but I think we need to look at this a
different
way.
(Disclaimer - Worked 60 hrs this week, plus selling a house, and house hunting,
so maybe
                     my brain is mush.)
Assumptions:
      Display attributes such as RI are "Option" and will not be returned when
the record is read, just as
            the a CA/CF Key indicator is a "Response" indicator and will not be
output. (Even with
            INDARA, which uses the same location in memory for a given
indicator,
even the indicator
            is defined as both a Response and Option indicator). If you look at
compiled RPG program,
            or the buffer layout for input & output on the DSPF listing, you
will
see this.)
      If a subfile record is not read/rewritten, then a redisplay of the subfile
will
            have the same display attributes, if OVRATR PUTOVR, etc. are
correctly specified.
Problem.
      Record is in error, or RI would not be on in the first place. So if the
record is in error,
      it should be read and re-validated every time the subfile is processed. If
on the other hand,
      the RI is indicating a non-error condition, then the record should not be
read unless it is
      changed.

Solution.
       Use the SFLNXTCHG keyword., and use READC to only read the subfile
records
that have
       changed. If a record fails validation, you can specify SFLNXTCHG on the
record, which
       will cause the record to appear to be changed, even if the user did not
modify it.

Reference : OS/400 DDS Reference V4R2    SC41-5712-01

Well, did this make sense, or should I just go to bed.
Bob Larkin

Dennis Lovelady wrote:

> Hi, Chandan:
>
> >problem, I have a subfile record with a field in reverse Image, If I
> >update the same record again without validation, then reverse image is
> >getting off. How can I retain the RI.
>
> The way I have handled this in the past, is to have hidden fields that hold
> the special attributes.  For example, if I use *IN31 to indicate RI, then I
> will put a hidden field into the subfile, and call it IN31.  Before each
> subfile (RE)WRITE, I'd have:
>     MOVE *IN31    IN31
> and after each subfile READ I'd have:
>     MOVE IN31  *IN31
>
> HTH
> --
> Dennis Lovelady                    Simpsonville, SC
> mail: dennis@lovelady.com
> ICQ:  5734860
> --
> All racists who are prepared to die for their contry, please do that now.
>
> +---
> +---

begin:          vcard
fn:             Bob Larkin
n:              Larkin;Bob
org:            <A HREF="HTTP://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">Larkin Computer Consulting</A>
adr:            <A HREF="http://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">Bob and Diana's Page</A>;;;Houston;TX;<A HREF="http://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">;United States
email;internet: blarkin@wt.net
title:          Systems Consultant
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;4104