For what it's worth, (and I haven't been following this thread very
closely), I have seen AFP spooled files held by the system for what appears
to be no obvious reason. I seem to remember tracking it down to the fact
that host print transform was not activated for the printer. I'm not at an
AS/400 right now, but I think there's some kind of user-defined program you
can attach to the device description which lets you programmatically do the
transform (using the host print transform system api). I determined the
problem by looking at the job log for the printer writer job.

I may be wrong: it's almost two years since I worked with AFP.

HTMH (Hope this might help)

Chris Jewell

Christopher J. Jewell.vcf