• Subject: RE: Using EXTNAME
  • From: boldt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:58:29 -0500

Brad wrote:
>> Although we don't limit the type of file you can use,
>> physical files are obviously preferred.  In particular,
>> the new V4R4 function INZ(*EXTDFT) works only for
>> physical files.
>>
>       [And Brad Said:]  Hans, what is different about this keyword?

The only difference was in the difficulty of implementation.
INZ(*EXTDFT) initializes subfields of ext-desc data structures
based on the DFT value defined in the DDS.  For fields defined
in physical files, the transformation of the DFT value into an
RPG literal is fairly straight-forward.  Unfortunately, for
display files the same could not be said.  Since we believe
most people use physical files anyways for EDS's, and since
handling display files for INZ(*EXTDFT) would have meant a lot
of work, we decided to take the easy way out and limit *EXTDFT
to just physical files.

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com

+---