  • Subject: Re: Basic Operations
  • From: John Cirocco <JCirocco@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 22:07:14 -0500

Barry,

   I see you receive no other responses so I will thow out my 2 cents worth...

    First, a little background on my site here before I respond.  800+ users,
110gb disk.  JDE shop over 6 years.   I have 1 full time operator and a system
administrator.  My operator also does ops for NT and a Benefits system on
Netware.  Administrator sets up most of my automation and automatic report
distribution.

   With the tools available on the /400 as well as other utilities and tools
(built, begged, borrowed), I would look to automation and spend your budget
dollars in other areas.

For automation, I don't want this to be a Help Systems plug but many of my
automation utilities come from them and I find them to be invaluable.
Scheduled tasks are handled by Robot on the /400 and also control PC tasks
using Robot Client.  We run Netware, NT, and PC jobs from a /400 based
schedule.  Automated report distribution handled by Robot/Reports.

When the system has an error message or significant event I use a product I
wrote many years back that call programs, reponds to message, pages me with
errors.  Why stare at a system for 24 hours when it needs attention for only 1
hour a day.  Help system has message handling, paging and console monitoring
products but my little baby works fine for me.  Tuning on my systems are done
with Autotune which may not be perfect for all situations but has saved me from
many an upgrade and angry users over the years.

There are also many other fine products that are out there for other functions.
 From the folks I speak to at conferences I hear great things about a product
call Service Director which can be used to perform all of your system cleanup
among other things.  There are also competing products to the ones I use.  To
each his own.  If you would like any more info, feel free to contact me
directly.

Regards,
John

John W. Cirocco
Manager, Data Center Operations
Computer Task Group, Inc.
700 Delaware Ave.
Buffalo, NY  14209
Phone - (716) 888-3566
Pager 1-800-283-2255  Pin# 12029
John.Cirocco@ctg.com
JCirocco@gw.ctg.com

>>> "Boyer, Barry" <bboyer@gstleather.com> 01/01/99 09:29PM >>>
Happily, I have gotten approval to add operators and change from an
unattended data center to a fully attended operation.  Naturally I've seen
large data centers where there are many "tasks" for an operator to perform
- Usually from some sort of "wall-schedule", etc.

However, we are a small business -- primarly running JD Edwards software.
Backups on the AS/400 can be done in about 1 hour at night.  I'm looking for
a laundry list of "tasks" I can add to my new operators duty schedule --
just to make sure I don't overlook something important.  Would appreciate
suggestions from 'this group' for things I should be sure to get on this
duty/task list.

Thanks!

Barry L. Boyer
Manager, MIS Operations