Subject: RE: RPG, COBOL & JAVA
Author:  <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com> at Tcpgate
Date:    12/7/98 1:37 PM

I'm sorry, but I couldn't let this stand. I have to issue a hyperbole alert.
;-)

Alert 1: >In order to produce applications that can live in the environment,
we will have to use JAVA.

There are alternatives to Java. So you don't "have to use Java." While it
may be the best language in many such cases, there's no law that says
Internet-enabled applications must use Java. Yes, Sun would sure like that
kind of law, but it doesn't exist yet.

Alert 2: >...but because of the emphasis IBM is putting on JAVA, better get
your coffee cup warmed up!

IBM emphasis means little or nothing. IBM has put significant emphasis on
many failed or marginal technologies. (I'm not going to name names; I think
we all know them by heart.)

I don't think I'm being too controversial in saying this, but the decision
to use a given technology should not be based on whether IBM is, for the
moment, pushing it, but rather on whether the benefits to your company are
substantial enough to justify the investment. IMHO, we are not supposed to
be advocates for our (or IBM's) pet technologies, but for those that
increase the competitiveness, profitability, and success of our
employers/clients. If that's Java, so be it, but IBM pushing it doesn't ever
make it so.

There are good reasons to use Java in some situations without contributing
to the myths and hype.

Regards,
Jim H.