  • Subject: Re: Y2K Customer nuts?
  • From: Randy Mangham <randym69@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 22:31:02 -0800

Yes. Your customer IS nuts!! So they set the date back (oh, 28 years is the
right
number so the date will fall on the same day). Uh, do you suppose there might be
a FEW problems with customers getting POS receipts dated 28 years ago? Just how
do they make a warranty claim to a manufacturer if need be? Or claim rebates
that
require receipts with purchases made between certain dates? Rebates they can no
longer claim because of this cheap a** retailer. I just left the employ of a
similar retailer where the CEO thought it more important to spend $6 million
remodeling stores in 1998 rather than one thin dime on Y2K issues. Do they send
out P.O.'s via EDI? Even if they don't, are their trading partners prepared to
deal with printed P.O. dates 28 (or some such number) years back? If they can't
afford the money to save the business it's time to sell out the business to
someone who can afford to save it (if it's worth saving). BTW, the controller at
MY former employer sabotaged MONTHS of my Y2K efforts with the other senior
managers by marching into the weekly operations meeting and announcing he'd just
heard a "really good Y2K guru" who said Y2K was blown all out of proportion by
consultants (of which I'm now one) to further their business. He went on to say
that he recommended "we just sit tight" because this guru assured his audience
(who PAID to listen to this claptrap!! but then it WAS what they wanted to hear)
that there would just be "a little heartburn" in Jan. 2000 until all the
transaction dates in the files were into 2000 and then things would be just
fine.
(Funny thing. Our P.O. system refused to take a date with a "00" year when we
tested it.)

I could go on at some length why they can't run their business with back dating
but I'll spare the list members. <grin>

Randy Mangham
Pacific Crest Consulting
San Diego, CA