  • Subject: Re: GUI necessary?
  • From: Don Schenck <schencd%AM_LZCH%VASELL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 08:32:22 -0400
  • Autoforwarded: false
  • Disclose-recipients: prohibited
  • Hop-count: 2
  • UA-content-id: 11CC13601600
  • X400-MTS-identifier: [;6422321302121998/A36629/TIMONE]

:::The GUI
:::always gets in the way, and the user will always have to watch what
:::he/she is doing to make sure that there in the right check box or
:::whatever.

Not necessarily. I, personally, have learned that on some screens I "can do
this, than that, and then that..." and get my results.

For example; when I compile a Visual Basic program. I press Alt-F, K, Tab,
Enter. That's it. Every time. Never fails.

Quick. Painless. Fast. No mouse.

:::Also, for GUI to function, the speed at which the data is returned must
:::be instantaneous. If you have used the Operations Navigator or any other
:::product that requires AS/400 data, you will realize that for most
:::people, the data does not update in a timely manner. If you have to wait
:::3-5 seconds for a tree to build of User Profiles or 10 seconds for a
:::list to fill with customers or whatever, then you are being less
:::productive than if you had a green screen.

Not necessarily. Haven't you ever typed, say, WRKACTJOB and waited ... and
waited ... and waited ... for the next screen. Same concept.

:::Also, I feel that most developers of GUI (Client/server) systems don't
:::look at their target audience before deciding on the interface.

Don't limit that comment to GUI developers, HOWEVER ... it is THE NUMBER ONE
PROBLEM in GUI development, to be sure. Developing a GOOD interface is NOT
easy.

There are some books that should be REQUIRED reading for GUI development.

Peace,

-- Don Schenck
www.SchenckTech.com