  • Subject: Re: remote console
  • From: "Larry D. Bolhuis" <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 07:14:09 -0500

I recently installed this at a customer site on an S30 at  V4R3.  It was a
battle to make it work
but here is what we learned.  We also installed Remote COntrol Panel.

1) Requires V3R2 of Client Access. Recommended to have the current fixpack
installed as well. Also
requires specially ordered cables for Console and Control Panel.

2) Requires NT 4.0 if you want access from a remote site. NT must have RAS
installed and a 'null
modem' (That is not a physical one but a software one that allows 'dial out(it
is not actually
dialing)' to the AS/400 comm port for the console connection.

3) You MUST re-install NT SP3 after installing RAS and the null modem.

4) To support Console and COntrol Panel the PC needs two available comm ports.
If you want to dial
into the NT box to do this remotely, you will need a modem also. Note that you
cannot communicate
with this NT box over a LAN and access the console or control panel at this
time, you MUST Dial in
or be at the box.

5) The Console communicates via TCP/IP at 115.200 baud and uses the FIRST comm
port on the AS/400.
You will need to change QESLINE et al to use CMN02 (or some other port).

6) For the initial connection to work you must IPL the AS/400 with NO OTHER
COMM attached to the
adaptor supporting CMN01. (ie remove ECS cable.)  This we discovered with the
CE on the line with
tech support.

7) The console will come up with a sign on box that says DEDICATED SERVICE
TOOLS SIGNON.  That is
what it is. Attempting to use an OS/400 signon at that point will fail.

Once working it is great. You can watch/control the actual control panel from
NT and have a the
console right next to it.
--
Larry Bolhuis         |
Arbor Solutions, Inc  | Two rules to success in life: