  • Subject: Re: V3r1 > V3r2 upgrade.....
  • From: acentea@xxxxxxxxxxx (Centea, Andrei)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:25:28 -0500

Hi Don

I did it from V3R1 to V3R2 one week ago, two machines in the same time. No big problems, only some tips to consider :

1 - make a printout ( splf ) of all the PRTF. I did it, having a huge 2000 pages splf on each system, but it's fine when you need it. The PRTF will be changed, it's clearly written in ibm memos.

2 - verify the memo regarding authority change to libraries and system objects, if it applies to you or not. A lot of *PUBLIC authorities in V3R1 will go to *EXCLUDE in V3R2.

3 - QALWOBJRST sysval should be *ALL.

4 - check if you have 5763999-MF10577. If omitted, installation will crash with a SRC for lack of system reserved space. Also apply *PERM old PTF's. For me this was a 3 hours job.

5 - check if third part software is V3R2 compatible. It was another good move, finding bugs with old query definitions that came from S38 through several conversions and did not work anymore on V3R2, even if on V3R1 were just fine. Redefining them and applying all ptf's after the install procedure solved the problem.

6 - do a complete save as you like/ need it

7 - Old tips from ancient times : check the console address. If it's local ( whatever the *DEV name ) and you're not on CTL01, port 0, sw 0, you will not have access to installing messages. ( I never tried it with remote consoles ).

8 - the installation itself took me at least 6 hours on each system.

9 - I found one problem on one system : the INZSYS task ( install complete ) was not successfully ended. To be sure, check messages in install log ( opt. 50 in LIC menu ). I followed the troubleshooting notes in install manuals and ran inzsys again, till it was OK. Do not try to save w/o INZSYS finished.

10 - check & print sysvals

11 - check if job logs and debugger logs go into proper outq's, following the change in the PRTF. If you have the SPLF with the old image, you can make it clean ( all the QEZJOBLOG stuff, ... ... ).

12  - apply the cume tape, which is the last one planned for V3R2. Check the IBM Hyper sheets for new extra PTF's not included in the last tape. I had to download the query ones from may 1998 ( check on the net their status and PSP ) but you might need more, who knows. All PTF procedure was very long, at least 5 hours !

All these steps I consider to be common for everybody going to V3R2, join them to your particular case. Add also time needed for backup procedures.

HTH,
Andre

Don wrote:

OK guys, it's been a while and I know the process has changed and many
errors have been fixed...

What's the current quick way to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2?  I've got the
huge multipage PTF coversheet but I'm hearing of horror stories still...

Is there a decent upgrade documentation sheet for this process?  I've got
a client that I want to get off of 3.1 and I'ld like to get it done in
less than 1 week and 14 IPL's....:)

Don in DC