  • Subject: RE: Creating Overlays with AFP Print Driver
  • From: pault@xxxxxxxxx (Paul Tykodi)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 12:08:02 -0500

Dear Art,

If you are going to use LPD/LPR or TN5250E as your printing transport protocol
from your AS/400 to a Win NT print queue servicing an HP PCL compatible laser
printer, you will need the AS/400 to convert your AFPDS data stream into an HP
PCL equivalence with the QWPZTAFP API. This conversion step occurs before the
AS/400 sends the output to the Win NT print queue. This API is not needed when
using TCP/IP to send AFP print data directly from an AS/400 to a laser printer
that includes native IPDS support or to a laser printer serviced by an external
print server with native IPDS support.

The QWPZTAFP API provides limited support for certain IPDS functions. Exact
functionality may differ across operating systems. The V3R7 API description is
listed below. The data is from the System API Reference for V3R7.

1.16 Transform AFP to ASCII (QWPZTAFP) API
<some information deleted>

The Transform AFP to ASCII (QWPZTAFP) API transforms an Advanced Function
Printing data stream (AFPDS) into an ASCII data stream. The ASCII data stream
can be formatted for IBM, Hewlett-Packard, or PostScript-capable printers.

The QWPZTAFP API processes the following AFPDS objects:

- Document
- Presentation page
- Presentation text data
- IM1 image data (1)
- Overlay resources
- Page segment resources

The QWPZTAFP API does not process the following AFPDS objects:

- IO image (IOCA) commands
- Graphic data (GOCA) commands
- Bar code (BCOCA) commands
- Presentation Text 2 (PT2) text commands
- Double-byte character set (DBCS) fonts

AFP commands that are not supported by the QWPZTAFP API are ignored, and no
warning or error message is sent to the user.

Fonts and character placement may appear different when printing a transformed
data stream on an ASCII printer than if the same data stream (not transformed
to ASCII) had been printed on an AFP-capable printer.

(1) IM1 image data is an object format used in the Advanced Function Printing
data stream. It is device-dependent and uses pel-to-pel mapping for
presentation.

Subtopics:

1.16.1 Authorities and Locks
1.16.2 Required Parameter Group
1.16.3 Output Controls Table Format
1.16.4 Field Descriptions
1.16.5 Error Messages

(c) Copyright IBM Corp. 1994, 1996

IBM BookManager(r) BookServer Copyright 1989, 1996 IBM Corporation. All rights
reserved.

Good luck!

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606