  • Subject: Re: Isolated environment
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:19:46 EDT

Bill,

> We are trying to set up an isolated environment to do program testing/
> development. Can this be done using the ASP's or will we need to get a
> separate AS400 or wait for the multiple virtual machines due
>  out next year. We are afraid that library lists won't quite give us enough
> protection.

With proper security in place, library lists should work fine.  Both library
lists and ASP partitioning work to isolate the data, but don't help with the
rest of the system resources.  CPU, memory, communications, et al can be
adversely impacted by new code.  It's not easy, but you _CAN_ hang the system
working with some of the more "bit level" stuff.  Heck, we had a newbie hang
the system due to a bug in WRKSPLF *ALL in a previous release of the operating
system!  IMO, you're better off with a seperate development box or waiting for
partitioning so that production work is unaffected by any mistakes made.
<<snip>>

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Budget:  A mathematical confirmation of your suspicions." -- A. A. Latimer