  • Subject: Re: The RCLSTG mystery...
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 9:04:06 -0500

What objects do I need to consider:
A)  Everything under /QSYS.LIB?
B)  Everything under /QSYS.LIB and /QDLS?
C)  Everything under /?
D)  Everything under /, with some possible exceptions?
What is the fastest way to determine the number of these objects?
When I use Windows NT Explorer on my PC's hard drive I can right
click on a folder and it will tell me the number of objects in the
folder and any of it's subfolders.  Too bad that doesn't work when
I map a drive to the 400.  Perhaps this should be added to Op Nav.
Or would this take such a major hit on the 400 keeping this
capability maintained?  None of the stinking huge database cross
reference files contain this info do they?  Files like QADBIFLD or
it's genre?
We have a file on each system that we do a DSPOBJD of all objects
under QSYS.LIB into.  On the biggest system, (S20-2163    89,052MB at 89% used)
it has 322,679 records.
Here is a Query over that file:
Library     Object      Object           Object   Text description
                        Type             Size
QSYS        QADBIFLD    *FILE     1,349,632,000   Cross reference physical file
ASSETASP01  ADKJRNRCV1  *JRNRCV   1,009,491,968   AS/SET Created Journal Receiv
ASSETASP01  ADKJRNRCV2  *JRNRCV   1,009,491,968   AS/SET Created Journal Receiv
QUSRSYS     GDISYSNT3   *SVRSTG     839,204,864
ASSETF      WKD         *FILE       499,154,944   AS/SET - AS/400  Software  En
QMPGDATA    QAPMJOBS    *FILE       345,595,904   Job related performance data
QUSRSYS     GDISYSNT2   *SVRSTG     314,834,944
QPFRSTEEL   QAPMJOBS    *FILE       295,989,248   Job related performance data
BPCS405CDS  QRPGSRC     *FILE       269,070,336   RPG Sources for BPCS v4.05 Br
ROB         GDISYS01    *FILE       267,403,264
GPIFILE     ITH         *FILE       264,019,968   Transaction History File
ASSETF      ACT         *FILE       263,290,880   AS/SET - AS/400 Software Engi
GPIFILE     ITH.DP      *FILE       263,151,616   Transaction History File
BPCSS40     QRPGSRC     *FILE       254,386,176   Temporary Source File - QRPGS
BPCSS401    QRPGSRC     *FILE       248,745,984   Temporary Source File - QRPGS
V3R7        ROUTALL     *FILE       240,402,432
QIWS        QAZDGCOL    *FILE       177,262,592   CATALOG - SYSCOLUMNS, COLUMN
LYLDIVF     ITH         *FILE       162,562,048   Transaction History File
ROUTINES    DSKDTL      *FILE       160,473,088   Output file for DSPOBJD

Kind of hilarious that the biggest object is IBM's file that keeps track of
fields used.  That and the fact that several related files and their logicals
are in the top 50 nasty dudes.  And what's a few gig's used by a CASE tool
among friends?  Heck one of our user files don't even make the top 10.  Yet
we still have staff that feel proud that they've removed a dozen items from
the item master therefore also cleaning up the BOM.  Total savings 1MB,
1MB * $0.60/MB = $0.60.  Total cost $35 * 5hours = $175.  You'd think that
an analyst would have heard of Pareto analysis.
Because of that biggest file we almost left a machine at V2R3, the last
release that didn't have these big files.  The application on that machine
is an ancient version of the BISCOM fax product in which we are fazing out
for IBM's Fax/400.  BISCOM wanted $7K to go to RISC.  The company that we buy
400's from DONATED a E04 to keep the old thing chugging along.  The only
reason we upgraded is because *prv compiles would have been impossible.  We
don't keep PDM on the E04.  Only a few  machines have PDM and only two have
the RPG compiler.  If it wasn't for one software vendor whose product does
flexible reporting by generating RPG programs we'd only have one machine with
the compiler.

barsa2@ibm.net on 10/01/98 02:15:31 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet