  • Subject: BACKUPS
  • From: "O'Connor, Peter H." <PHOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:34:35 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com from Chad:

Here are a couple of ideas on the subject.

1st, your point is well taken in that SOME new libraries should be saved
because they are new.  There are tape management systems that added the new
libraries to a backup and the user does NOT have to do anything.  However,
the user does NOT have any control of what is saved and when it is saved.

2nd, My product (Librarian ) believes that management should make the
decision of when a library should be saved.  Librarian notifies management
of when new libraries are added but does not dynamically add to a save.
Reason, most saves are run in the evening before the nightly processing.
Saves that take longer than expected cause problem with other processing.
Management should control, what is done when.  If management does not have
control of processing cycles, problems can occur.  We had a client who let
libraries dynamically be added.  A library of 25GB was added to the system
for testing and testing only.  There was NO need for the library to be
saved.  However, the save took place and caused the monthend processing to
blow up Sunday evening which caused users not to be able to sign onto
system in the AM.

I understand your concern but the problem of dynamically adding libraries
should be given serious consideration.   The most important item is the
programmers should be controlled in adding libraries.  There should be a
policy of adding libraries.  In the above example, managment did NOT know
that the 25GB was added.  The operations manager lost his job because of
it.

There have been a lot of suggestions on using *allusr and SAVCHGOBJ.
However, in the above example, the same problem would have existed.  Take
control of your system, instead of your system controling you.

There was a saying at IBM when I first got into the busines.  "A baby
learns how to crawl first,  then learns how to walk, then learn how to
run."   In this society, the baby wants to start to run immediately.  If
anyone has had children, they know that the baby will fall and might
seriously hurt them selfs.  So think it all out.
I most likely sound like I am giving a sermon, I'm not.   I have seen to
many companies get into trouble not having control on their systems.

Peter H. O'Connor
PAE Inc.
7 Riverway Rd.
Salem, MA 01970-5343
978-744-8612(T)
978-745-7945(F)
e-mail 102736.3535@compuserve.com

>I'm trying to run a backup for a terms system on an as/400. Just
recently our programmers have began adding additional libraries that
need to be added to this backup. I was wondering if there is anyway to
group libraries in a backup so that I can just set a backup to pull the
group, grabbing any additional libraries that may have been added that
day or must I just specify each library in the backup as they are
created. Any comments would be appreciated.<