  • Subject: Re: File Reads
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:18:40 -0400

Larry Bolhuis wrote:

> VENU,
>
>   This then is an extension to my earlier reply to your earlier
> question.
>
>   You have correctly realized that paging is a potential problem (Which
> you would probably get if you blocked 32K!)  Realistically the file size
> should not affect the blocking size.  Record length does have an affect
> as you realize since bigger records consume more memory.

If we are running a machine with approx 380 mb in the pool where the job
is running alone would we still get paging problems ?  What is the
guideline for this?  I remember reading an article some time back about
"encouraging" the 400 to cache particular files.  Is this still
available or is the system doing this automatically now?

We have 512 mb and overnight there are only spool writers and server
jobs active on the system.

John Hall
Home Sales Co.