  • Subject: AS/400 Y2K Problem
  • From:
    okamoto/岡本 充弘

    <okamoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:56:14 +0900

Hi! I found out a problem regarding to the communication recovery function
on AS/400 Ver.4.1. Does anyone know such a problem as shown below?

My customer decided to change the year number from the Western era, 1998,
1999, or 2000, to Japanese era, 'Heisei' 10, 11, 12 and so on. 'Heisei' is
the name of the current Japanese era.
Anyway after we updated all of the date fields on the database, we changed
the system value QYEAR '98' to '10'. I know it means 2010, internally.
QCENTURY value was changed from '0' to '1' automatically.

At that point after IPL, our application system runs with no problem. Only
difference is the indication and entry of the date fields: i.e.98/08/31 is
changed to 10/08/31.
But after I changed the QYEAR system value, some of communication failures
happened. One of them is...  I finished the work with 5250 emulator session
with PCOMM Ver4.1 DLC( using LAN connection via IEEE 802.2), the
corresponding APPC controler on the AS/400 become 'Recovery Pending' status
with a message'CPA58E1'. So I could never re-connect the 400 from the PC.
Before I change QYEAR value, the APPC controler never become such a status,
it automatically recovered.

Thanks,
Mitsuhiro Okamoto
At Osaka in Japan