  • Subject: Re: Finding Subsystem of an active job
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:00:56 -0400

Robert Meade wrote:

> John - All our C/S development is in Delphi via a product called Easycom.  I
>do
> want to take a look at putting a timer on the client end of the jobs. However,
> our biggest problem has been jobs that end abnormally on the client side, but
> continue to run on the AS/400.  Does this ever happen to you via Delphi/400?
>If
> so, how do you deal with it?
>
> Thanks again!
> Robert Meade
> Worldwide Church of God

We have two types of connections through Delphi/400 - APPC router and
straight TCP.  The router (netsoft) process usally dies when the PC
locks up or crashes.  The TCP connection doesn't because of the nature
of TCP - there is no "heartbeat" to ensure that the other party is still
active.  If a link goes down for a while & is then restored without any
attempted comunication between the PC & the 400 the program will act as
if nothing happened.

The downside to this is that if the user just turns off the PC the 400
has no way to detect that the process has died.  To get around this you
can create a simple file which all your Delphi apps will write to.  What
we do is have them call a simple program which retrieves the Job
Description and places a record in the file.  When the delphi app
terminates normally it then chains to the record in the file and deletes
it.  Then at 11pm you can run a program which will attempt to do an end
job on each remaining record in the file and clear the file member.

There is not much overhead involved with doing this and if easycom
allows you to call programs and retrieve modified parameters from them
it is only 2 lines of code in delphi

John Hall