In <35F212E5.4ABA@ibm.net>, on 09/06/98
   at 12:43 AM, Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@ibm.net> said:

>The primary rule for each
>question is that the correct answer stands out to the qualified
>candidate, while all answers appear correct to the unqualified
>candidate.

This to me is the main issue of contention.   There is no such thing as
"qualified" vs. "unqualified" with an AS/400.   It is my opinion that the
goal of this sort of test is pass/fail sort.  With so many jobs open and
so much talent needed and such a long history of employers refusing to
encourage employee's new training, the test as designed only really tells
who was stuck in bad jobs.

These tests need to provide good topographic maps of a person's knowledge.
Again, this is my opinion, but if a candidate has been in a Sys/36 shop
for 12 years but wanted to move into the AS/400 environment these tests
would be a disaster.

So far as the example given of powering down the system, I'd rather have
all answers be correct, but illuminating of the testee.  One answer could
be, for instance, "To power down the system, first get written approval
from the MIS Director."  Another might be "I don't know.  Programmers
never power off AS/400s."  Or, "There is a Powerdownsystem Command.
Before answering I want to read the manual."  All of those answers are not
incorrect, but in ranking them 1-4, or even being forced to choose one,
the testee will show something about themselves.

Please understand that I realize technical expertise is important, but
what is more important is knowing if a person has 8 years of experience,
or 1 year of experience 8 times.

If you are interested in technical expertise, have the testee write a
"hello world" program.  Or show you a portfolio of sample code.  Or have
him read and explain what is happening in one of your shop's programs.

Trick questions are not the right choice becuse no one ever knows
everything, and at some point the testee realizes the answers are designed
just as has been explained, and so the testee becomes gun-shy at any
question where the correct answer does not leap off the page at him. At
that point the rest of the exam has lost it's usefulness.

imho