Well boys and girls,

We have an opening.    We are being treated like EQUAL peers now.   They
even mention OS/400 !!  That wouldn't have happened a few months ago.
This is YOUR chance,   Especially you network people.      Read this and
try and visit this site and post.      We have started to
make a good impression(we are included for the first time, so we ARE making
headway)  and now
it is time to make good,   constructive,  positive opinions about subjects
you feel strongly about.

Please forward this site to anyone you feel that would make a good
contribution.   This is a brand
new forum,  started yesterday,  so the paint is still fresh.     Let them
know that the platform of your
choice is an equal member of the computer industry.      There needs to be
more than just a couple
of different names from the AS/400 community or our credibility will be
minimized.     (Put your money
where your mouth is)
(Al,  Jon,  Charley,  etc  are you out there?)

SOAPBOX(*OFF)

John  - AS/400 Rules - Carr
EdgeTech
804-739-7689
74711.77@compuserve.com

(Thanks David for this AS/400 vehicle(Midrange-L) to expand our platform
awareness)

http://forums.infoworld.com/threads/get.cgi?72107

Reader to reader

Posted by: siteadm
Date posted: Fri Sep 4 14:30:04 PDT 1998

              At one time or another, many forum participants have had
great
              suggestions for InfoWorld forum topics. We finally got the
hint and
              decided not to continue to let this pool of talent go to
waste. We're
eager to take your suggestions and solicit new ideas for forum topics.

In addition, we'd also like to invite you to write an occasional
peer-to-peer column for InfoWorld --
in which case we may be able to tie your column topic to these forums. The
topics for the
peer-to-peer columns may be either of a practical nature (i.e., how to set
up an Internet usage policy)
or of a theoretical nature (i.e., where do you draw the line for Internet
privacy in the workplace?).

Regardless, if you're interested in participating, please post your forum
and/or column suggestions
here, or send them directly to kristin_kueter@infoworld.com. Be sure to
include your e-mail address.

We're going to launch this new forum with a suggestion submitted by Danny
Ross Lunford, who
would like to discuss the relative merits and problems involved in the
administration of the various
network operating systems. We'd like to hear from everyone -- regardless of
the NOS or server OS
you've used (the various flavors of UNIX, Windows NT Server, OS/400, OS/2,
NetWare with or
without NDS, Banyan Vines). Please try to be specific -- what were you able
to do using REXX or
UNIX shell scripts that you can't do in point-and-click? What advantages
did point-and-click offer?

Nicholas Petreley

P.S. Several forum participants have noted that these forums have been
turning into flame wars lately.
This increased noise factor makes the forums less useful and more difficult
to navigate. We don't
want to censor any participants so we humbly make this request: When you
post, remember that
only you can prevent forum fires! Flame off, please!

Here's the kind of impact we are having,   this is from a Non-AS/400 person
who is wondering
"Whats all this AS/400 buzz about?"   He posted this on a previous forum

While waiting for NT...

     Posted by: tspear@ventera.com
     Date posted: Thu Sep 3 21:44:09 PDT 1998

     While waiting for NT 5.0, I have seen the AS/400 in the news quite
often. This week its about
     the I-Commerce stuff. Last week about some performance boost and the
Java VM. While
     waiting for a stable version of NT I think I will try and convice some
client (not sure who) to
     try an AS/400. Now only if a had a brave client!

     Tim