  • Subject: Problem on a 9406-620 V4R1M0 and Resource Names "lost"
  • From: Chuck Lewis <CLEWIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 15:30:03 -0400

Hi Folks,

Had a weird one this morning. I'm at a new shop and the AS/400 here will
be replacing a NCR/Unix box. I'm trying to get the AS/400 setup for
"prime time". Have the daily backups in place and last night I thought
I'd run a test IPL. I came in this morning and it appeared that all was
well until I started checking around. CTL02 was vary on pending and
varying it off and back on did nothing. I noticed that in QSYSOPR it was
saying "Line resource name CMN0x not found" (the x being a number and 4
messages in total). Then I noticed that our 9427 tape unit was not
available. I checked out WRKHDWRSC *CMN and saw the Comm Ports not
operational and ditto for the 2809 controlling them.  QSYSOPR showed NO
errors (other than the Line resource name not found), WRKPRB had NO
problems of ANY kind and the only errors under service tool were 6 5294
"BUFF" errors all at the SAME time earlier in the morning... I tried
another IPL and got the same thing.

I called Rochester and the guy had me check under Logical Hardware
Resources on System Bus under SST and we had the System Bus, Multiple
Function IOP 9164-001 and Multiple Function IOP 2809-001 and System Bus
again and that was it. I'm new here and had not gotten around to
documenting what was what, etc. (came from a 530 & 500 shop...) so I
wasn't sure what it should show (Am NOW !!! <BG>). I hit an F10 for
"Non-reporting resource" and a list came up with a 2809 on it, a bunch
of CMN's and the tape drive. He said it was OK to blow those away and I
said "are you SURE" and he said yes and I did. He then had me try an I/O
IPL for the 2809 and that started and after 10 minutes, he said he would
get a CE on-site to CONFIRM the configuration, etc. because it
shoulldn't take that long.

The CE got here and the reset was still going (not) after about 2 hours
at this point. Per Rochester I did an ENDJOB on the job which was
running on the console, did an ENDJOBABN and eventually we had to force
power down. We came up in DST and everything looked OK. We came on up
and we had to tell the system what Card Position the CMN and Tape Unit
were on (it had renamed them and dropped/detached the real ones...) and
all is fine now.

NO word on what happened. The guy in Rochester said they HAD seen
something similar on V4R2 and there was a PTF (the system was "randomly"
renaming Resources... WHAT a nightmare) but nothing for V4R1...

ANYBODY heard of this or had this happen ? WHAT in the WORLD would/could
cause it ?

I NOW know that we have TWO 2809's - one in the main unit and one in the
expansion unit...

Thanks,

Chuck