  • Subject: Re: Something like a joblog for FTP jobs???
  • From: Garrett Lanzy <lanzyg@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 17:47:12 -0400

ghutchinson@tstoverland.com (Gord Hutchinson) writes:
>We have a business partner who FTP's into our system to GET (and
>eventually PUT) a file.  Is there any way to generate something like a
>job log for while they're connected.  We're interested in capturing when
>they connected and disconnected, What files they got (GET ed??) or put,
>and any error messages while they were connected.
>
>Are exit points the only alternative?  We're currently on 4R1 but should
>be upgrading to 4R2 in the (reasonably) near future.

Gord,

I'm afraid there's nothing there which does quite what you want.  You can
turn on joblog generation for all FTP sessions (see the discussion in the
section "Getting a Copy of an FTP server Job Log" in Appendix E of the
AS/400 TCP/IP Configuration and Reference manual), but that just shows
job log messages generated during the session and will not contain any
messages giving the user or files transferred for "non-error" cases.

Your best bet would be exit programs.  You could log the data sent to the
exit program via a file, message queue, etc.  Another way would be to have
the logon exit do a CHGJOB LOG(4 0 *SECLVL) when the user in question
logs in to the FTP server (which will cause the session's job log to be
saved),
then write messages containing the data you want saved as messages to
the job log; that way, you save both the job log messages and the command
info in one place.  (Note, though, that you would want the logon exit to do a
CHGJOB LOG(4 0 *NOLIST) for users you don't want to trace, since FTP
server jobs are reused for subsequent users and you probably don't want
to save joblogs for every session.)  Obviously, there are many variations
on this theme.

Another alternative would be auditing; if your system is set up to audit
file accesses, you could use that to track the transfers.  However, that's
an expensive way to do it if this is the only reason you want auditing on.

Hope that helps.

Garrett

P.S.  I don't normally read this list (your question was forwarded by a
colleague), so please contact me directly if you have further questions.

Garrett R. Lanzy, Advisory Software Engineer, AS/400 TCP/IP Applications
IBM, GZPA/257-3, 1701 North St., Endicott, NY 13760  phone: (607) 752-5487
Internet: lanzyg@us.ibm.com               IBM tieline: 852-5487