  • Subject: Re: Design shift of view
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:16:11 -0700

Tim,

I think you hit the nail on the head concerning commerce driving the evolution.

Let's face it, it's an economic reality that a business, any business, must milk
the current solutions to recover R&D costs and make the shareholders happy.
It's
usually when a "nothing to lose" upstart shakes up an industry that things do
change by a quantum leap instead of merely a customer demand of enhancement.

Personally I want to know more about how my business can capitalize on Rob 's
neural database.  I've toyed with the idea for about 15 years now, but I've had
business to run and payroll to meet in the mean time.  Yet, more than once, I've
thrown the whole thing out to gain the luxury of a fresh start and am looking at
what's next.  Rob hit on a nerve that's itching to run!

One of the business economics "laws" that I was taught was that in order for one
to sell a shift, one must include how the transition will be made without a loss
of power (or making your past stand look foolish).  Power is not something given
up willingly (said the buggy maker to Henry Ford =;-o).

James  W. Kilgore
qappdsn@ibm.net

Tim McCarthy wrote:

> James,
>
> I heard the "radical" noises too. I understand the reluctance people may
> have in implementing "radical" solutions, what I don't understand is the
> unwillingness of some to consider them. You should hear the narrow minded
> debate on the EDI-L about a technology called BSI (which in my view has
> serious merit).
>
> I firmly believe that it will be internet driven commerce that will drag
> our database design into the next era because it's data sharing that best
> highlights the deficiencies with our current methods.

<<snip>>